We have been progressing well in our refurbishment of the building in preparation of opening our new business. The gallery is almost there and is really just waiting for the artwork to begin arriving. It is a beautiful bright space with newly painted, bright white walls. So with this under our belts, Mike and I began working on the old framing studio we intend to use a studio for the purposes of offering workshops and education.
We have deconstructed all of the shelving and framing tables, and ripped up two layers of carpet. This revealed a layer of black crumbling rubber, glued to the floor. When we began to scrape this we began to see a good wooden floor with a unique patina. It had been our intention to lay linoleum down in the studio, but now seeing this evenly patterned surface we have decided to just varnish the wooden floor. After all... people pay good money to achieve this kind of distressed painted wood effect, and we quite like it.
I am posting images of the space just after the main deconstruction and will shortly post the 'After' pictures once we have finished making the walls good, and have painted the walls and varnished the floor. Things are moving along nicely