We have been progressing well in our refurbishment of the building in preparation of opening our new business. The gallery is almost there and is really just waiting for the artwork to begin arriving. It is a beautiful bright space with newly painted, bright white walls. So with this under our belts, Mike and I began working on the old framing studio we intend to use a studio for the purposes of offering workshops and education.
We have deconstructed all of the shelving and framing tables, and ripped up two layers of carpet. This revealed a layer of black crumbling rubber, glued to the floor. When we began to scrape this we began to see a good wooden floor with a unique patina. It had been our intention to lay linoleum down in the studio, but now seeing this evenly patterned surface we have decided to just varnish the wooden floor. After all... people pay good money to achieve this kind of distressed painted wood effect, and we quite like it.
I am posting images of the space just after the main deconstruction and will shortly post the 'After' pictures once we have finished making the walls good, and have painted the walls and varnished the floor. Things are moving along nicely
Thankfully I have a husband who is as impulsive and driven as I am. Just a few weeks ago I was feeling a little lost, having just resigned from a job with a small nonprofit. Prior to taking this job we had been gallery owners, but Mike, my husband, wanted to retire and so we moved to the beautiful Oregon coast. Mike wakes up one day and tells me that he misses owning the gallery and now that I am free, we could think about doing that again. Serendipitously, on the same day I get a call from a local gallery owner in Cannon Beach telling me that they are closing the doors and asking if would I be interested in the space. Seriously... The same day.
I had to process this and needed some time to think about it, but started emailing artists we had represented before to see if they would show with us again. I got instant positive replies and, confident that I could populate a gallery with work I could be excited about, any processing time was cut to just two days before we arranged to meet with the landlord. During the week that followed we decided on a name, got a domain name, set up an LLC, registered it with the state, applied for a business license, opened a bank account, set up a Facebook page and joined the Chamber of Commerce.
We are well ahead in painting the gallery and expect work to start arriving in the next couple of weeks. We will be having a soft opening in March, so we can iron out any issues before our grant opening on April 1. We are both so excited and believe this could be our best adventure yet.